Beginner 1 - Bookcase
Beginner 1 - Bookcase
Instructor: Alan Turner/Craig Vandall Stevens
January 4 - February 15, 2018 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm (7 Thursday evenings)
February 6 - March 20, 2018 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm (7 Tuesday evenings)
September 6 - October 18, 2018 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm (7 Thursday evenings)
This is a series of workshop courses designed to carefully introduce the total beginner to woodworking by presenting material around a project-based curriculum.
These courses concentrate on woodworking skills which build upon earlier skills covered, leading to the successful completion of a bookcase (Beginner 1), a solid wood coffee table (Beginner 2) and a Ladderback chair (Beginner 3). Important and interesting material related to woodworking in general is thoroughly covered. We feel that the planning, learning, practice and hard work that goes into the construction of a furniture piece can be critical to developing and retaining both good habits and learning more advanced techniques.
Beginner I - Basic Bookcase Project
In this 7-session workshop, students are introduced to basic woodworking using both sheet goods (cabinet grade plywood) and solid wood, face frame construction, pocket screw joinery and creating edge profiles using a router. The tools covered include the tablesaw, router, bandsaw, oscillating spindle sander, miter saw, drill, power sanders and the jointer and planer. Installation of shelf hardware is covered. Each student will construct a well-built bookcase with adjustable shelves suitable for finishing clear, with stain or paint.
Continue scrolling down for Tool List
PFW has a wide assortment of tools for students to use. However, if you have your own tools or would like an excuse to purchase some new ones, the tool list is below. PFW recommends purchasing tools from Tools for Working Wood, Lee Valley/Veritas, Hida Tool and Hock Tools
- Marking knife - Two Cherries No. 63, Baishinshi or Hock #MK075 Spear point
- Marking gauge - Tite-Mark 7” long marking gauge, or Lee Valley Micro Adjust
- Sliding T-bevel - Starrett or Shinwa
- 12" or 6" Combination square - Starrett
- Bench chisels (smaller 1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”, 1” sizes are the most helpful). Ashley Iles or Fujihiro handmade Japanese chisels
- Hammer - 10 to 13 oz
- Block plane - Lie Nielsen #102 or low angle Lie Nielsen #60 1/2
- Pencil, notebook, safety glasses and hearing protection