Hand Cut Dovetails
Hand Cut Dovetails
Instructor: Alan Turner/Craig Vandall Stevens
January 20 - 21, 2018 9am - 4pm
The dovetail joint in all its variations is considered the benchmark of fine furniture and solid construction. This is the joint that separates the masterpiece from the mundane.
On day one, students tune up and sharpen their dovetail saws, learning how to "soup up" and improve the performance of any saw. Students then design their dovetails, and make quick shop-made templates.
On day two students carefully lay out their dovetails with a sharp marking knife and then cut "to the line" with their souped up saws before paring their pins and tails for a perfect, gap-free fit. The workshop exercises concentrate on multiple through dovetails.
Never again design around dovetails to avoid cutting them. Never again rely upon time consuming, mechanical router jigs. Learn how to execute beautiful hand cut dovetails with confidence and ease.
Strongly recommended prerequisite: Basic Sharpening, offered several times a year.
Cost includes all materials. Students provide their own lunch.
Continue scrolling down for Tool List
PFW has a wide assortment of tools for students to use. However, if you have your own tools or would like an excuse to purchase some new ones, the tool list is below. PFW recommends purchasing tools from Tools for Working Wood, Lee Valley/Veritas, Hida Tool and Hock Tools
- Marking knife - Two Cherries No. 63, Baishinshi or Hock #MK075 Spear point
- Marking gauge - Tite-Mark 7” long marking gauge, or Lee Valley Micro Adjust
- Sliding T-bevel - Starrett or Shinwa
- 12" or 6" Combination square - Starrett
- Bench chisels (smaller 1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”, 1” sizes are the most helpful). Ashley Iles or Fujihiro handmade Japanese chisels
- Hammer - 10 to 13 oz
- Dovetail saw (western or Japanese) - Gramercy, Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley or Hida Tool Gyokucho #S-372 Japanese dovetail saw
- Block plane - Lie Nielsen #102 or low angle Lie Nielsen #60 1/2
- Pencil, notebook, safety glasses and hearing protection