Instructor - Craig Stevens
May 14 - June 18, 2019 6:30pm - 9:30pm (6 Tuesday evenings)
September 10 - October 15, 2019 6:30pm - 9:30pm (6 Tuesday evenings)
A weekly evening class, The Basic Skills Course is a series of classes that are patterned after our Learning Series. The course is designed to provide a strong foundation for beginners, helping build excellent fundamental woodworking skills. It’s a shortened version of the daytime Learning Series, intended for those who prefer taking evening classes. The Basic Skills Course will have ongoing 6-week sessions so that students are able to cover the same topics as the daytime Learning Series classes, i.e., Basic Skills 1 will be followed by Basic Skills 2 and so on. Each session builds on information and techniques learned in previous sessions.
Unlike our Beginner Classes, which are project-based, the Basic Skills Course is process-oriented, focusing on the proper and safe use of woodworking machines, hand tools and core techniques. The class has been created to help beginning woodworkers develop safe, accurate and efficient woodworking techniques that lead to successful, satisfying results and minimize many of the frustrations that occur when learning on their own.
The Skills Course meets one evening each week over a 6-week period. Through weekly lectures, demonstrations and hands-on work, participants will learn and practice traditional techniques essential to high-quality woodworking and furniture making.
Basic Skills 1 topics include:
- the vocabulary of woodworking
- gaining and practicing the safe sequence of steps to take a raw board and accurately mill it to a specific size.
- developing an understanding of wood, how it behaves and ways to help control it, purchasing wood and selecting grain for projects
- important layout and measuring skills, working with story sticks
- sharpening plane blades, chisels, knives and scrapers
- understanding how to set up and use a hand plane
- the use of hand tools and insight into which tools to consider buying
- mortise and tenon joinery